Friday, June 21, 2013

Recipe - Spam Musubi

I think I've had spam musubi (pronounced moo-soo-bee) twice in life. Each time I had it, I had really enjoyed it. Needless to say, I figured instead of paying 1.50 each for this delectable Hawaiian treat, I can start making my own so I can decide what ingredients goes into marinating the spam and how much rice for health reasons. So started this little experiment...

I had mostly every ingredient I needed in my pantry minus the sushi vinegar and the sushi seaweed (which you can probably get at your local Japanese/Asian market.) All you really need is rice, seaweed, musubi maker, spam, sushi vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce and fukikake which is the seaweed seasoning you see on the far right (optional).

For the rice, you can make your regular rice in a pot or over the stove. Then take out and let it cool for 10-15 minutes, you can do longer if you really want to. But then for about 2 cups of rice, I used a half cup of the sushi vinegar (but you can adjust to taste), 2.5 tablespoons of sugar and a pinch of salt if you'd like. Mix it in thoroughly with the rice but be gently and use a wooden spoon if possible to ensure that the rice doesn't break in the process.

Take the spam out and cut it to your desired thickness, I'd suggest a quarter-half an inch. I didn't want the spam to completely overpower the treat so I made it thinner. Also the thinner, the less spam you eat per bite!

Then onto the egg making process. I scrambled five eggs and cooked it in a small pot, added layers as it was cooking (just three times) and then pressing down with a spatula to achieve the compressed omelette look/making it easier for me to cut later. 

Then to cook the spam. Drizzle a little oil in the pan, over medium heat. I cooked each side for about 2-2.5 minutes. Make sure that it doesn't burn while you're preparing for this. Also, this should be the last component before you start assembling your musubi because you want your spam to be hot as you're putting it altogether! 

With the musubi maker that I purchased from Daiso (best 1.50 I've spent there), you start assembling! First is to put the container to the furthest point of the seaweed. Then you add rice to cover approximately 1/3 of the container.

After your spam is cooked/browned, you carefully (because it's hot!) place them in. Then, go ahead and put the eggs you've previously cooked/cut on top of the spam.

Next, add another layer of rice on top. Using the top of the spam musubi maker, press firmly down to ensure the rectangular shape/stays together for cutting later! 

Slowly keeping the top on the contents, wedge the bottom upwards to ensure the musubi stays in place. 

Look at how pretty it is all packed together! Then slowly wrap it tightly with the seaweed and if it doesn't stick, use a little bit of water and wet the seaweed to ensure it sticks to the rice. Wrap as tightly as possible!

Then, repeat the previous steps until you've used up all your seaweed/spam/egg/rice! This should make around three of these large rolls.

Wowww... it does take a little longer than expected the first time.. But for next time, I'll be more prepared for the process so it'll probably down the preparation time by half an hour or so.

Then using a very sharp knife, slowly cut the big rectangular spam musubis into treat sized little snacks!

It was so deliciously good.. :) 

Don't forget to share with friends and families since now you have more spam musubis than you can eat in one seating. Feel free to put some furikake on top as seasoning as well! 

Afterwards, if you can't finish it all, stick it in the fridge! Next time if you want to eat it, just heat it up for 15-25 seconds to ensure the rice/spam is hot for consumption!

Prep time: 1 hour (maybe longer, depends on your rice)
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Overall: 1 hour and half - 2 hours

Not bad for a first timer, I'll let you know how fast/slow it takes me the next time around.




No comments:

Post a Comment