Monday, June 10, 2013

Restaurant - ISA (SF)

I love love love Restaurant Week! It's a week where participating restaurants in a large city decides to "showcase" and offer their selected popular items for a set price (usually around $25 lunch, $35 dinner) for either 2/3/4 courses. So imagine my squeals when I heard that there was RW aka "Dine About Town" for no other than SF! So after I cleverly copied and pasted the entire list of restaurants to an excel... and then did some manipulations (nerd, I know)... we came up with ISA (best for the price/variety of courses/number of courses!) Here're some pictures if you want to use this as a guide for the next Dine About Town (which happens twice a year!)

Their seasonal oysters - these were from Washington (the state) and was not too big and not too small. My favorite part was the fish roe in the slightly tart but sweet sauce they provided (better than your usual cocktail sauce for sure!) Oh, did I mention that they were A DOLLAR?


Smooth Corn soup with parsley, chives & cream
I was at first hesitant about this one because the other choice was a lobster broth but this turned out to be surprisingly good, especially since the corn was definitely fresh and very sweet.


Maine lobster broth with prawns, tomato, celery & tarragon
I was not as impressed with this broth, it was slightly watered down and the only reason why it was ordered was because it had the lobster in its description. There was a sizable piece of shrimp in each soup though.


Organic Loch Duart salmon carpaccio with lemon, crème fraiche, cucumber, egg, capers & crostini 
Very delicious - it tasted just like what fresh lox should taste like. Not too much cream and it was a good appetizer to the meal


Dungeness crab salad with avocado, apple, grapefruit & tarragon
A very good dish to share (since they are all tapas) and because it's cut into different lettuce sections. It did underwhelm me a little but overall had a very crisp, fresh flavor. There were a lot of crab in the salad and not enough avocado.


Steamed Prince edward island mussels with garlic, white wine, parsley & grilled bread
A very typical mussels dish that is done just right. I enjoyed the roasted tomatoes a lot and the grilled butter bread was a wonderful touch to the sauce on bottom.


Seared Scallops with orzo, cherry tomatoes, corn, snap peas & truffle sauce
My absolute favorite! This was SO SO SO delicious, they made the scallops just right, it was not too hard and not too tender. The marinade for it was sweet and salty at the right level. I really enjoyed the "crunch" in the snap peas and the only thing I'd change is maybe the Orzo to another type of grain.


Alaskan Halibut with artichokes, tomato confit, zucchini, olives and basil 
Boyfriend loved this one, it was slightly fried on the outside allowing the fish juices to be captured. Perfect seasoning and the artichokes were not overwhelming. Very well executed and the zucchini is always a plus!

Truffle risotto with baby shiitake, hon shimiji mushroom & reggiano
Extremely savory, delicious if you're a mushroom lover!


Braised Short Ribs with mashed potatoes, broccolini and rainbow carrots
More like a beef stew so be prepared. I'd watch out for this one since it's extremely fatty!


Semifreddo all'amaretto
Yes, I did not know how to pronounce this and I probably won't learn but this was not bad. I am not a fan of almond cookies but the ice cream was not too creamy and not too rich. I was able to eat half of it before I called it quits because of being too full.


Grapefruit granite
Very very very refreshing and a must order if you like grapefruit. Thoroughly enjoyed the little spoonfuls I tried!

A wonderful meal at ISA. They're located in the Marina/Cow Hollow area and parking was def. not hard to find. I'd go back a second time!

4.5/5.0 stars
I'd highly recommend it :)



No comments:

Post a Comment